Monday 24 August 2015

100 Great Movies By Female Directors: By Little White Lies.

Why I Have (almost) Stopped Buying Glossy Magazines.

I think every girl enjoys a glossy magazine, weather it be a fashion mag, interior design or a "reality" magazine such as OK or Hello. They are there for a quick read, to entertain, to follow trends or gossip there is is one out there for every one.
I have always enjoyed going out and picking up the new edition of my favourite, 
such as ELLE, GLAMOUR  and he recently lost COMPANY magazine. But I have been finding they are very samey. And the content extremely low as a large percentage of it is ads, and photo shots. I would be buying them on the way in to work and by my afternoon brake I would be giving them to the media team for there mode boards and scrap books. 
(A few years a go I would be keeping them for my own boards and scrap books for styling.)
In the past year I have found myself buying magazines like Skin Deep, Empire and more recently Little White Lies. 
These Have less adds and more words to reads, and will last me a week rather them a few hours.

Little White Lies 
TRUTH & MOVIES


This is a 100 page magazine with hardly any Ads' - in July/August I counted 6 pages of ads, and they were film related. - Each month has a theme, May/Jun was Tomorrowland were they went through the history of Disney land and the new film release Tomorrowland. the half is fild with film reviewers old and new, mainstream, independent and world.
and the photography is minimal it is largely drawing art, which I adore, even the paper is a great choose, it like a heave smooth cartridge paper. it feels like your reading a book them a magazine.
Now to  July/August edition, this has to be one of my favourites. 
"THE 50 BEST FEMALE FILM DIRECTOR WORKING TODAY (& WHY WE LOVE THEM)"
Theres 40 odd pages listing the 50 female directors with a short bio'.
It ends with a list of 
"100 GREAT MOVIES by FEMALE DIRECTORS"
I makes such a change from reading "what pants and bra set you should be wearing this season" and "your fat if your not a size 8"
Yes it dose seam a little like Empire Magazine, but even that can be a little to mainstream sometimes.
Yes it is £6 but I find it worth it. Its a monthly book and live most magazines and books you can always pass them around for all to read. If your someone that likes to keep magazines, these would not look out of place in a bookcase.
 

Looking down the list there is already a good hand full or two that I can cross off, films i've each with out realising that they were directed by a woman. 

Using their "100" list I have picked out 30 of them which I want to see, also in the list are the ones I have also seen. 
  1. Chilly Scenes of Winter: Jone Micklin Sliver -1979
  2. The Hitch-Hiker: Ida Lupion - 1953
  3. Falling leaves: Alice Guy-Blache - 1912
  4. India Song; Margeritte Duras - 1975
  5. Strang Days: Kathryn Bigelow -1996
  6. dogfight: Nancy Savoca -1991
  7. Vagabond: Agnes Varda -1985
  8. Big: Penny Marshall -1988
  9. Wayne's World: Penelope Spheeris -1992
  10. Fire: Deepa Metha -1996
  11. The Apple: Smaira Mathmalbaf -1998
  12. Faithless: Liv Ullmann -2000
  13. American Psycho: Mary Harron -2000
  14. Me And Every One We Know: Miranda July -2001
  15. Lost in Translation: Sofia Coppola -2003
  16. I For India: Sandhya Suri -2005
  17. Bright Star: Jane Campion -2009
  18. XXY: Lucia Puenzo -2007
  19. Treeless Mountain: So Yong Kim -2008
  20. Archipelago: Joanna Hogg -2010
  21. Every one else: Maren Ade -2009
  22. Stories We Tell: Sarah Polley -2012
  23. Dreams Of A Life: Carol Sciamma -2011
  24. Appropriate Behaviour: Desiree Akhavan -2014
  25. Wadjda: Haifaa al-Mansour -2012
  26. Dusty Stacks of Mom: The Poster Project: Jodie Mack -2014
  27. Winters Bone: Deborah Granick -2010
  28. Rocks In My Pockets: Signe Baumane -2014
  29. Babadook: Jennifer Kent -2014
  30. The headless Woman: Lucrecia Martal -2008
P.S...
Back when I was in high school with my love of drama, films and special effect, I must have watched hundreds of behind scenes footage and how they done it special fetchers, from CGI, animated puppets. I had it in my head that I wanted to direct and act. 
But as time went on following that path got lost. 
If I hand It would have to horror and things along the lines of Donnie Darko.

No comments: